While Monday saw the polls for the 14th Indian President, Tuesday is the day when the 2017 Vice-President candidates take the light and file the nomination papers. NDA proposed the name of Venkaiah Naidu for the post of the Vice-President against the Opposition’s candidate Gopal Krishna Gandhi. The elections for the Vice-President will take place on August 5, 2017.
The few unknown facts from the life of Venkaiah Naidu are:
- He has authored a book titled ‘Aluperugani Galam, Viraamamerugani Payanam’, a compilation of his speeches and a guide for those who aspire to get into politics.
- He hails from a family of farmers in Andra Pradesh and was interested in politics since childhood.
- He pursued law from Andhra University in Visakhapatnam and has exceptional oratory skills.
- He served as Union minister for Rural Development in the ministry of Vajpayee Government.
- He is the man behind ‘Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana’ and envisioned a home for everyone by 2020.
While he wanted to continue serving the office till 2019, BJP Government told him that he doesn’t have a choice. Let us now have a look at the achievements of Gopal Krishna Gandhi, who is the grandson of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Graduate with a master’s degree in English literature from St. Stephen’s College of Delhi University.
- Authored the translation of Vikram Seth’s A Suitable Boy from English into Hindi.
- Retired IAS officer who served as Secretary to the President of India and as High Commissioner to South Africa and Sri Lanka.
- 22nd Governor of West Bengal serving from 2004 to 2009.
Tushar Gandhi, the great grandson of Mahatma Gandhi, Congratulated his Uncle in a tweet:
As both of them head ahead for this post, a lot can’t be predicted about the victory. Let us hope that the voters see the better statesman and the better reason to choose the best candidate.
As Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu resigns from office, Smriti Irani gets the additional responsibility of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India). She has been serving as the Minister of Human Resource Development in PM Narendra Modi’s cabinet.